What would Christmas dinner be without roast potatoes? Provenance Potatoes, producer of Kent’s finest potatoes, reveals the secrets to achieving the perfect crispy roasties in this recipe and top tips.
700g King Edwards, peeled and quartered
2 tbsp oil (sunflower, vegetable, rapeseed) or 30g fat (duck or goose fat)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C Fan, Gas Mark 6
2. Put the oil or fat into a large roasting tin and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Add the potatoes to cold water and bring to the boil. Do not leave the potatoes in the water for more than 10 minutes in total.
4. Drain the potatoes well and shake the pan to rough up the edges. Carefully pour the hot oil or fat into the pan of potatoes making sure they are well coated. Tip the potatoes into the roasting tin, spreading them out evenly.
5. Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes, turning twice. Serve immediately.
Choose fluffy potatoes such as King Edwards or Maris Piper.
Parboil the potatoes for NO more than 10 minutes.
Ensure the oil or fat is VERY hot before adding the potatoes, this helps to ‘seal’ the outside making a fluffier roastie inside.
Spread the potatoes out in the tin so they cook evenly and ensure they are all covered with the fat.
For super crispy skin, sprinkle polenta over the potatoes just before they go in the oven.
Grown in Kent, Provenance Potatoes can be found in Farm Shops and Independent stores across the South of England.